Long-term results of generalized periodontitis treatment among 2nd year medical university students with increased level of emotional sensitivity
Postgraduate student of Dentistry Department in Postgraduate Educational Institute, Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine
Introduction. In recent years, psychosocial factors, mental ex- haustion and stress have been considered by experts from WHO and the International Labor Organization as an important factor affecting the health of young people all over the world. The high level of psycho-emotional stress associated with information overload, the acceleration of life pace, unfavorable learning conditions, contributes to the increase in the prevalence of periodontal tissue diseases.
Aim. The purpose of the study was to evaluate the efficiency of long-term usage of the nootropic drug “Noofen” in complex treatment of generalized periodontitis among 2nd year medical university students with increased level of emotional sensitivity.
Material and methods. 70 students with initial-I stage generalized periodontitis and increased and high levels of emotional sensitivity were observed. Clinical indices PMA, BI, OHI-S and the level of MDA and SOD in saliva were detected.
Results. All data of clinical indices (PMA, BI, OHI-S) and prooxidant-antioxidant system state (MDA and SOD) was improved after treatment in both groups (p < 0.001), despite that I group results in a long-term, where advanced treatment was performed, was much more better than in II group (p < 0.001).
Conclusions. As a result of treatment we obtained significantly better results in group, where improved treatment was used. It is confirmed by long-term stabilization of clinical trials and biochemical parameters of oral fluid.
In recent years, psychosocial factors, mental exhaustion and stress have been considered by experts from WHO and the International Labor Organization as an important factor affecting the health and performance, motivation of learning and employment of young people all over the world (1).
Professional overload of emotional character in the absence of rational rest in most people leads to a state of chronic emotional stress. The high level of psycho-emotional stress associated with information overload, the acceleration of the pace of life, unfavorable learning and work conditions, contributes to the increase in the prevalence of periodontal tissue diseases. Psychological stress has a negative effect on immune response efficiency, which subsequently leads to disruption in periodontal tissues. The results of various factors influence on the periodontal tissue diseases occurrence indicate that not only stress but also anxiety is a determining factor in periodontal pathology development (2-6).
There are many methods of generalized periodontitis (GP) treatment, using drugs with high anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial effects on periodontal tissues. “Noofen” is one of the drugs that eliminates heightened emotional sensitivity, namely anxiety, and has a positive effect in GP treatment (7).
To evaluate the efficiency of long-term usage of the nootropic pill “Noofen” in complex treatment of generalized periodontitis among 2nd year medical university students with increased level of emotional sensitivity.
Material and methods
To evaluate the effectiveness of advanced complex treatment, we conducted clinical and laboratory examination and treatment of 70 2nd year medical university students with initial-I stage generalized periodontitis. All students, who were examinated, had increased and high levels of anxiety. Students were divided into two groups, depending on performed treatment: main or I group (35 people) and comparison or II group (35 people).
Patients in I group received advanced treatment, which included local treatment – mouthwash with solution “Oktenisept” and resorption of pill “Lizak”. For general treatment, patients in I group received nootropic pill “Noofen”. Patients in II group received conventional treatment according to the dental care protocol, which for local treatment included rinsing the mouth with 0.05% chlorhexidine solution and resorption of pill “Lisobact”. Patients in both groups received multivitamin complex “Vita-Supradin Active”.
Objective examination data, clinical indices of PMA (papillary-marginal-alveolar index), BI (bleeding index of gums), and Green-Vermillion index (OHI-S) were used to put initial-I stage of GP diagnosis. Danilevsky classification was used to put diagnosis of periodontal disease (8).
The assessment of oral cavity prooxidant-antioxidant system state was determined by the level of malondialdehyde (MDA) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) (9-11).
Clinical and laboratory examination of treatment in both groups were performed before and immediately after treatment, at 1 month, 6 months and 12 months.
Results and discussion
As a result of conducted treatment in both groups, a significant improvement of periodontal tissues condition was observed. Clinically, the gums became pale pink, tightened, bleeding and itching of the gums disappeared, and the depth of periodontal pockets decreased.
Powyżej zamieściliśmy fragment artykułu, do którego możesz uzyskać pełny dostęp.
Mam kod dostępu
- Aby uzyskać płatny dostęp do pełnej treści powyższego artykułu albo wszystkich artykułów (w zależności od wybranej opcji), należy wprowadzić kod.
- Wprowadzając kod, akceptują Państwo treść Regulaminu oraz potwierdzają zapoznanie się z nim.
- Aby kupić kod proszę skorzystać z jednej z poniższych opcji.
- dostęp do tego artykułu
- dostęp na 7 dni
uzyskany kod musi być wprowadzony na stronie artykułu, do którego został wykupiony
- dostęp do tego i pozostałych ponad 7000 artykułów
- dostęp na 30 dni
- najpopularniejsza opcja
- dostęp do tego i pozostałych ponad 7000 artykułów
- dostęp na 90 dni
- oszczędzasz 28 zł
1. Dmukhovskaya TM, Zavgorodniy IP, Sokol KM, Sidorenko MO: Assessment of psycho-emotional state of KhNMU graduate students. Hygienic Science and Practice: Modern Realities: Materials of the 15th Congress of Hygienists of Ukraine; 2012 Sep 20-21; Lviv. Lviv National Medical University. Danylo Halytsky 2012: 184-185 [published in Ukrainian].
2. Petrushenko TO, Litovchenko II, Artyukh MO et al.: Psychological characteristics of humans in the prediction of periodontal tissue diseases. Ukrainian dental almanac 2014; 5(6): 32-34 [published in Ukrainian].
3. Potapyuk LM, Sirotyuk TO: Causes and ways of overcoming stress. Collection of articles of participants of the twenty-fourth all-Ukrainian practical-cognitive Internet conference “Scientific Thought of the Present and the Future” (November 24-30, 2018). Dnipro: NM 2018; 22-23 [published in Ukrainian].
4. Heinen I, Bullinger M, Kocalevent R-D: Perceived stress in first year medical students – associations with personal resources and emotional distress. BMC Med Educ (Internet) 2017; 17: 4.
5. Rosania AE, Low KG, McCormick CM, Rosania DA: Stress, depression, cortisol, and periodontal disease. Ibid 2009; 80(2): 260-266.
6. Trombelli L, Scapoli C, Tatakis DN, Grassi L: Modulation of clinical expression of plaque-induced gingivitis: Effects of personality traits, social support and stress. J Clin Periodontol 2005; 32: 1143-1150.
7. Pavliuk TV, Rozhko MM, Inventors, Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University, patent holder: Method for drug treatment of generalized periodontitis in young people. Patent of Ukraine ? 117610. 2017 Jun 26 [published in Ukrainian].
8. Danilevsky MF, Borisenko AB, Politun AM et al.: Therapeutic dentistry. Book 3, Periodontal Disease. Medicine, Kyiv 2018: 624 [published in Ukrainian].
9. Magalyas VM, Mikheyev AO, Horny SE: Modern Methods of Experimental and Clinical Research at the BSMA Central Research Laboratory. BDMA, Chernivtsi 2001: 42 [published in Ukrainian].
10. Gerush IV, Meshchishen IF: The state of the glutathione blood system under experimental of the gastroduodenal zone ulcerative lesions and the action of purple echinacea tincture. Bulletin of problems of biology and medicine 1998; 7: 10-15 [published in Ukrainian].
11. Godovanets OI: Long-term results of antioxidant drugs treatment among children with chronic catarrhal gingivitis. The world of medicine and biology 2012; 3: 80-83 [published in Ukrainian].